Monday 8 March 2010

Interruption in Service - ongoing...

My laptop was removed today by the insurance company. They will inspect it and either repair or replace according to what is possible and cost effective. It seems we must wait at least another week until I can really get back into the swing of OKCupid and more importantly, back into the swing of this blog.

I have been checking, but not able to fully engage in OKCupid. Some ordinary enough men have sent me some quite nice messages.

These are not men I wish to date.

I am ignoring their messages.

Is that a bit harsh?

It is partly because replying from my Blackberry is near impossible and it isn't always easy to hang about on dating websites in work. Mostly though it is because entering into polite banter is all very well, but somewhere down the line, I see myself having to say - No, I do not wish to meet you and then it could all just get a bit awkward...

Why even waste the time with the polite banter?

I guess it is open to interpretation in terms of what people are on the website for. I think I would rather just think I am aloof than a tease.

I've been doing lots of different things in the last week or so as well.... I did a few minutes of comedy at Pearshaped last Wednesday (gig 78, that was nice). I had a fun packed weekend including two very different days at two very different zoos and a day on a clowning course... but I can't tell you about any of that, because it is 5.50 pm and my flat is being viewed at 7pm.

Bye for now. I'll try and drop by again, later this week.

Hugz xx

4 comments:

  1. I don't think it's unreasonable to have the courtesy to respond if they message you. Something along the lines of 'me go out with you? Ha! Ha! Ha! Not in this lifetime matey.' Imagine you're channelling the voice of William Lee...

    Why stop as just ignoring them why you can totally destroy any remaining confidence they might that they could attract a mate? Not harsh enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading Norm's response to this post, I can kind of see how you might think I'm sounding a bit off handed about the notes from these men.

    I don't mean to sound that way. It just happens to be that I don't feel they are a potential match for me. Even if I felt they might make good mates, I might be more inclined to write back. Just so far, I haven't got that impression from any of the messages I've received.

    Even a kindly worded "thank you, but no thank you" is still a rejection and I don't think there is much to be gained from sending those kind of notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it helps at all, when I was on Match.com there was nothing worse than recieving the standard rejection message.

    I'd rather have no reply at all than a reply that essentially says 'No thank you, I don't find you or your personality attractive enough'. At least that way you can fool yourself into believing that the message may have become lost somewhere in the interwebs ether!! :o)

    But then as we all know I'm twisted when it comes to interwebs dating

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I spent AGES trying to decide whether to reply or not. Most chaps were nice enough when I sent them a rejection reply, though I felt awful. Two became abusive to the point where I had to suspend my account for a bit until they thought I'd left. Of the ones I didn't write back to at all, I can recall a few times when I got follow up letters, but they were really quite pleasant ("I guess silence is a no, but I still think you're awesome and good luck with it all"), which I was quite happy to reply to ("Sadly, you guessed it. Good luck too, and I hope you find someone who's better at writing back than me.")

    Also, I LOVE the picture from the shoot you put up on here before, and it should totally be on OkC too.

    Fingers crossed for flat viewings.

    ReplyDelete