Monday 8 June 2009

The Dreaded Gym

I've not been to the gym in weeks. So I've been thinking about cancelling. Facing the fact that it might be time to cancel is leaving me feeling a bit defeated. I don't feel relieved about freeing myself from an unnecessary 70 a month membership. I just wonder why I can't get on with it and use the bloody gym more.

So what do I want?

I want to have the motivation to go. To get on the fitness band wagon and start to feel a bit less embarrassed about my wobbly tum and other wobbly bits. Hmmmm.

Tonight I'm going to check out Fitness First. It is the cheaper option to the Virgin that I currently belong to. Chris goes there, so maybe he would drag me along to classes with him at lunch times. I don't think I like it there though. I've been once before and I'm only really going to see if it is as bad as I remember or if I'm just being a bit silly.

You see the thing about Virgin gyms is they have a pool. When did I last swim? Probably about six months ago. I love the idea that I could swim though!!

Oh and they supply the towels at the one I go to as well. But they don't supply towels in all their gyms and if you go to a Virgin Active where there is no complimentary towel service, they make you pay a pound even though the membership you've paid for your gym includes towels. Bonkers. No towels at all at FF though, so extra laundry would be in the offing and an even bulkier gym bag.

Oh and I have a weird sense of loyalty to the Virgin and to the PT, I don't even work out with anymore. I think she'd like it if I stayed at Virgin, but I never see her these days anyway.

On the other hand, there is a Fitness First quite close to where I live, so I might use that at the weekends, where as getting to a Virgin gym on a weekend is a bit more troublesome.

I don't really know what to do.

  1. Stay at Virgin and make the effort to go regularly again.
  2. or... cancel Virgin and join Fitness First and see if that works out better, despite the loss of the pool/towel benefits.
  3. or... No gym. Cancel the membership and try and exercise in my own time with walking or some other activities.
Also, is this interesting blog material? Probably not. Just for the record - I'm thinking Number 1.

3 comments:

  1. Well, if it's any help, I joined the gym closest to my office so I could work out at lunchtime. The gym is less than five minutes walk so amazingly convenient. I don't do more that 40 minutes exercise max and aim for two to four work-outs a week. I figure better to do some exercise than none at all. Works for me. I also don't use a PT. The way I see it, working out is not rocket science. Just experiment and have fun. It will take slightly longer to get optimal results but I only do stuff I enjoy, save money and stay motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined the gym closest to my office/home. I find that ease of access is the number one factor for whether I sort my shit out and go or not.

    And regularity helps. Once you've got a 'Monday, Tuesday, Friday' or similar thing going for a few weeks, it just kind of becomes automatic to go rather than not go.

    And finally, when I feel a bit under the weather and don't fancy it, I make myself go to the gym, get changed, and only then can I decide I don't feel up to it. It helps weed out the 'too much hassle' feelings from the 'genuinely don't feel up to training' feelings.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oglet is perfect as she is. She should continue with her nightly diet of premium lagers, veggie burgers and cheese-and-onion pasties to maintain her in the peak of physical condition.

    When we have our little tea shop, people will expect to be greeted by a ruddy-cheeked, slightly chubby and cheery sort, not a mirthless anorexic whose belt dangles loosely about her waist like a redundant hula-hoop.

    To borrow the words of Noreen, that is all.

    ReplyDelete