Wednesday 10 June 2009

Gymmage Update

So, I went to see Fitness First on Monday and it was really grim in there. I hope that isn't libelous or anything, but it was really dingy and cramped. My gym Buddy Niamh agreed with me as well, she said it made her feel claustrophobic!

Not to mention they tried to tell us it was 51 quid a month, when I don't know anyone that pays more than 40 quid for FF membership. So, there we have it - it wasn't just me being silly after all. (Apologies to any FF users for being nasty, perhaps it is just the City Road one that is so wholly unpleasant.)

Re the comments from before. Virgin is spitting distance from work. It is 2 minutes away. FF is 4 minutes away, so I'm definitely at the right one! Hoorah... I do go at luncthimes occassionally, but even though it is close and even though I only work-out for around 40-50 minutes, I can't get there, get changed and work-out and get showered and changed again and back to work in less than 1 hour, 30 mins. Often if I faff around, and I'm infamous for my faffing, it takes me two hours. My manager might tolerate that, but when you consider the time I roll up to this joint, (yes, blogging on the Council's time again.) well, it could appear that I'm never here. *gasps-shock horror* So it is better really for me to go after work and sometimes by the end of the day I really don't feel like it.

So the thing is... I said I was pondering option 1, (to stick with Virgin and go to the gym more regularly) and seeing the FF grimpit really made me realise what side my bread was buttered - or should I say reduced fat spreaded? Well, whatever your spread of choice, I know which side mine is on...Get this....

I have been to the gym Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday...Tuesday: I went for a swim out of celebration at the wonders that are the lovely Virgin Active facilities. I am feeling much better about it already.

I don't know tons of people who use the gym, but I had a few lonely boring visits lately, where I went without Niamh and didn't see any of the staff I know and like to say Hi to. Maybe that took the fun out of it for me.

This week, Niamh and I have been across to the gym twice together and I've seen Nicole (the ex-PT) twice and all three days I've seen Roman (the ex-sometimes-stand-in-for-Nicole-PT). That man is so ridiculously hot. Well, I think so anyway. Either way, it seems to make it a lot more jolly if there are friendly faces and I get that extra bit of encouragement.

I had my WW weigh-in last night. The outcome - I had stayed the same weight as the week before. This is a good result really - as my overall approach to WW has been to eat salad slightly more often , but otherwise carry on with my normal unhealthy ways, while hoping for the best. I got myself a points calculator. It makes tracking points a piece of piss. So, maybe that will help me stick to the plan a bit more. Watch this space.

After WW, I went to the pub and got bladdered on five or six pints of premium lager. Points? what points? While at the pub, I got told of a fabulous way to lose weight called "Pig to Twig." Apparently, I absolutely must read this book!!! It is simple and easy and the weight just falls off. I am beside myself with excitement. I wonder if I can Pig to Twig while WWing. It could all get too much if I'm not careful.

The same friends (Sue and Lucy*) who told me about the book, also said I didn't really need to lose weight (women always say that to other women.) Women, hear this - I am above my healthy weight range, as was told to me what I must weigh by the government and I won't rest until I get back in range. Or something like that.

They, Sue and Lucy, proceeded to tell me I was an incredibly attractive woman and intelligent too. I will be seeing a lot more of these friends from now on. I don't know where they had got the impression that my self esteem needed that kind of boost. Moi - doubt myself? Pah, the very thought!! Of course, they were very drunk, but still - what lovely things to say.

*Sue and Lucy are real people. It is purely co-incidence that one is named after my cat. When I start taking diet advice and compliments from the kitties, please lock me up and throw away the key.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit. Stupid HTML.

    My personal solution for rapid, simple weight loss is as follows...

    The diet itself is really very simple, but I can’t stress enough the importance of preparation.

    First, meet a woman (or in your case, a man) you like. Spend a lot of time with her. Learn to care for her on an emotional level beyond the normal “Are you still here? It’s morning already. Get out.” (well, that’s normal for me anyway).

    Then, and this is important, spend even more time with her. Get even more into her (in every sense). Suddenly find yourself happy to walk along the street holding hands, even though you have a history of assaulting couples with an uprooted Give Way sign for doing exactly the same thing.

    Marinade in happiness for at least six months.

    Have you done that? Good. By this time, you will of course have lost no weight at all. But as I said, it’s all in the preparation.

    Now, have the woman dump you. Preferably, this will come as a surprise. Not surprise like discovering George Michael’s gay, surprise like your company announcing they’ve been monitoring your emails for the last year and will be pressing charges.

    That’s it. You’ve done it. Now you’ll discover that not only are you not eating, you don’t want to eat. Even the thought of food will make you feel sick and the pounds will just fall off.

    And best of all, it doesn’t cost a penny*.

    So what are you waiting for, a point counter? Get to it.

    *Does not include intensive therapy, country and western cds or your dignity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peter. Lovely advice...One slight issue:

    "First, meet a woman (or in your case, a man) you like."

    ha ha ha ha. Yeah, I'm struggling with that bit - And all the bits up to "Marinade in happiness for at least six months."

    Those key stages (of what is otherwise and admiral plan) depend on some degree of mutual lasting attraction... a phenomenon that has sadly escaped me for at least 6 years and one might argue for the entirety of my adult life.

    Ho hum...

    Someone hand me my shiny new points calculator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mornington say:

    'Mommeh you are lovely and I loves you and you are beautiful and smart and funny and cuddly'

    'Now FEED meh!!!!'

    :o)

    ReplyDelete