Thursday 26 November 2009

Glee 17: Opening Night and Meeting a Mitchell

A new night for new acts set up in The Stow? This was not to be missed!!

Or maybe it was going to be missed. I got out of work later than planned and headed to the bus stop. bla bla... bus issues... bla bla, late late. Oh poop...(See I'm trying not to go over board on the detail.) Anyway, I was cutting it fine to get to the pub in time to sign up for the night and Becki asked me if it was still worth going. Yeah, yeah... I'll be there by 7.15... I'll have a Guinness please :)

When we got to the pub, we got drinks and went to have a look at the upstairs room where the comedy was happening. The room seemed like a good layout for the comedy purposes, but there were only eight or nine people in it and the organiser pointed out they were ALL acts. It looked like Sprog might be the only audience. She is familiar with that arrangement, but as it turned out later on we needn't have worried, plenty more peoples showed up. It was, when the time came - a really nice crowd.

In the meantime, we went back downstairs to wait there for the show to start, rather than stay and attempt to mingle with all the nervous distracted comic types. Back downstairs, Billy Mitchell was in the pub. I'm like 'oh look Billy Mitchell is in the pub.' Well actually, I was giddy with excitement. Updated my Twitter and the lot. We found a table, where I positioned myself with my back firmly to Billy, because I can't be trusted not to stare and we both busily tweeted/texted loved ones about Billy's presence.

Linda arrived. (Linda is one of Sproggle's work buddies) She wasn't staying, she was a bit p!ssed already and heading home for cheese on toast. Oh ok, maybe she would just stay for a little lemonade. Woohoo. This night was working out quite nicely.

As the start of the show neared, Billy and his friends got up and headed upstairs. No Effing Way! Billy Mitchell was coming to see me do comedy! hee hee. I'll be best mates with Babs Windsor before I know it. We can share grumbles about the plight of the larger chested lady. Was I getting ahead of myself?

If I'm honest, this comedy show needs a bit of work. It is so cool to have this happening on my doorstep. The Stow can get a bit forgotten as far as comedy opportunities go. They had a good crowd in and it is a great room for comedy, the organisers were very friendly and welcoming. They just need to polish up on the format a bit and possibly get a few more established new acts along as well as the first timers who had volunteered. Although more power to first timers' elbows...

Thing is, some of the acts didn't seem to realise that the idea of new acts night was to try out your OWN material. I think a bit of guidance in that department may help, because not everyone knows that kind of comedy etiquette. For some it was really was their first ever gig and with all the will in the world, that does show, but all comedy nights need to start somewhere and so do all comedians.

I was lucky enough to ease myself into comedy from the safety and security of a comedy school setting. If you haven't had that back up, I guess there is a temptation to get on and do the jokes you've seen work for your favourite comics. I guess not many of them will be reading this, but I've no doubt someone will put them straight in time. Let's hope it isn't Harry Hill/*insert other famous comic here*'s lawyer that lets them know

So - I'm not just saying this, I'm saying it because other people said it. I was the best act in the first half. As it turned out, I was also the best act of the night, (people said that too) but by the interval, we only had the first half to judge by. It was and it wasn't a personal triumph. My material was hazy in my mind tank, not having had a read through before, but I got laughs even through the bits that were muddled. There was quite a bit of ad-libbing, which thank heavens did got laughs as well. I lost my voice a few times and had to have a quick coughage, but over all it went nicely and even Sproggles said it was one of my best times.

I should be able to remember the blinking set though and being the best act on a night where some of the other acts don't even understand the concept of open mic comedy is somewhat of a hollow victory. Is a victory hollow or shallow? Either way, it was still a victory. Beggars mustn't be choosers. Or something.

So, back to the interval and we go downstairs again. We are walking through the bar and Billy Mitchell makes eye contact and Billy Mitchell wants to talk to me and he does and he and his friends are all full of compliments and it was like MEGA ACE!! Turns out his name is Perry, because there was that weird bit where we all introduced ourselves and he obviously knew we knew his other name, but he was very nice about saying - I'm Perry... That cleared things up no end and saved embarrassments. I'm ashamed to say, I've forgotten the names of the other friends we were introduced to. One of his friends was a sign language interpreter though. Always handy to know one of those!!

Linda had already headed home for the cheese on toast, so she missed our star struck meeting!

We went up to watch the second half of the show during which Becki got to punch a fat man in the guts. (He was asking for it - no really - he was - it was part of his act.)

The comedy ended just after ten, because the promoter was allowing for the fact that Walthamstow isn't the easiest place to get in and out of, but actually when the comedy ended, most people headed back down to the bar for more delicious booze.

Becki and I weren't sure where to seat ourselves in order not to appear too stalky toward Perry and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing, we ended up about a table or two away from him and were pretty much minding our own business, as he got hassled by quite a few different folks wanting to chat, get autographs and photos. We tried to cool it out and were determined not to make more obvious than required our wonderment at him being there... I totally didn't even ask if he could pass on my number to the hot new doctor on the Square. I didn't even ask that!

Then somehow on the way back from the loo or some old nonsense, I got caught up in a conversation with Perry and his pals, while they were chatting with the organisers of the evening and before we knew it, Sproggles and I had been invited to sit with Perry and his mates.

This was just MEGA MEGA ACE! I'm not sure they even asked the organiser to take a seat, just Sprogs and I. We mostly chatted about the night and how it was a great idea and it was nice to have that kind of event in Walthamstow and then had a bit of a rant and discussed how things could have been improved. I got more compliments, which I took with my usual charm - "Err, yeah, Ha - I'm not very good at compliments, but thank you..." *hides behind hands*. And there we were - Becki and I drinking and gossiping with an actor off the tele'.

I can just see me not too long from now - "So Babs, these big boobs - not all fun fun fun is it?" NO? Still too soon? Oh, whatever. A girl can dream.

Well they were lovely people and good company, so all in all, it was great to meet them.

After a while it was home time and Perry and his buddies bimbled off and Becki and I turned down the offer of an after show drink up around the organiser's house. Although, there was a general consensus that we'd be back for more Glee 17 action on 20th January next year!

We had places to go and people to see, don't you know. OK, so actually, Becki and I came back to the flat and had Dominos again. Why oh why? we just can't stay away from that place! We have WFC now. What are we doing with those Dominos nerds? I'm sorry WFC. We'll be back soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment