Friday 20 November 2009

Angels

I was in Marks and Spencer this morning.

The lady serving at the tills there saw me hovering with my basket and said quite loudly to me...

"Over here Angel"

She proceeded to call me Angel at least once more, maybe even twice during our brief exchange and all in all I was quite flattered by that.

I came back to the office and told my mate Chris this, he said 'patronising... patronising and common.' Chris has very high customer service standards!

The thing is and I told Chris this too... As I had walked away from the lady's till, I wondered if Angel was an appropriate way to address a customer and if she called everyone that. Either way, it made me feel nice and that was the important thing I supposed. Just as I was mulling all this over, the same checkout lady called across to another customer who was waiting.

"Over here Madam!"

I glanced across to the customer who had been addressed as Madam and she was probably only ten or fifteen years older than me.

Well, I'd rather be an Angel than a Madam any day and with that much, Chris was inclined to agree.

5 comments:

  1. Awww, Angel.

    I'm the first to confess that I'm the kind of person who uses overly familiar/patronising terms of affection, probably because it makes me feel quite nice to be called sweet or honey...so I pass it on.

    You're definitely an angel...not a madam :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What with working at a Local Authority, I'm a little bit careful about who I direct my overly familiar terms of affection to, but I'm rarely offended by them when they are directed at me. It can be rather nice. It is best not to get too precious about that kind of thing.

    She probably got a sense of my reformed holy ways. You know, because of my new found appreciation for men of the cloth.

    Is it August yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh men of the cloth....so pure and......SEXY!!!

    Every month is August with Calendario Romano!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be grinning over being called Angel too. But all it takes for me to be in a good mood in the mornings is to exchange a moment of contact with a person on the tube - even if it's just Looks about the person between us who smells funny, so there we are.

    Plus I heard a rumour that only angels make their own scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Butterfly... Yes, bless my M&S checkout lady. Friendliness can be rare in London, it IS a treat when even a tiny bit is swapped. I often bimble around feeling more like an old trout than an angel. Checkout lady just being herself and being friendly has made me feel a little bit less trouty for the day. Aaah, if only she knew.

    ReplyDelete