Thursday 18 February 2010

Gig update. Preparation, preparation. Meh.

I was on at Glee 17 last night at the Rose and Crown pub in Walthamstow.

As I'd been told it was a joint headline spot, I wasn't actually expecting to be on last, but my co-headliner (rival) couldn't make it after all, which meant I was to headline the night over all and indeed after all... (no foul play or tragic accidents arranged by me, she just couldn't make it.) Yes, I learnt this at 7.30 last night, when I arrived at the pub. It is roughly a ten-fifteen minute spot, according to what you want to do, from what I can gather.

At which point, it sort of dawned on me, a bit late in the day, that I wasn't really geared up (prepared) for a headline spot. Previously having talked myself into believing it didn't really count as a proper headline, just a bit of a nice extended set... Eeek, what now? Well, I had some new material (tried once) and some really old material (only tried three times and not used in the last 18 months.) and some other bits and pieces, that if I put it all together, it was long enough, but possibly not good enough and could I even remember it...

Arse.

Well it was happening, whether I liked it or not. I still had the interval to try and put some structure to what I had got and read through the old stuff.

The night definitely has a certain charm to it. A sort of haphazard anything could happen kind of charm. It is a great room for comedy and the promoters are lovely guys, but (and I'm sure they would agree to this), they are still learning how to make the night reach its full potential.

There were about sixteen acts on during the night and a nice variety of acts too. The promoters are actively encouraging first timers and really new newcomers and I think the audience accept that and enjoy the evening even if some of the acts struggle a little bit. Hopefully everyone, acts and audience alike, was having some fun.

As for my headline. Well I did enjoy myself, I'm fairly sure the audience enjoyed it. It was nice to resurrect my Albanian for a night. He needed a little dusting off, and I did forget a bit of the tale that a callback later on relied on, but people still laughed and liked the local E17 references in the story. It was one of those gigs where people were complimentary after, but things felt a bit different for me.

I didn't get the same buzz I usually get. Had I not drunk enough? Perhaps not, but the feeling I was left with was: I want to do better. The audience had enjoyed it, but I didn't blow anyone away...I should have known and practiced my stuff more. It was a privilege to be asked to close the night and I can't afford to take those opportunities for granted.

That sounds like Norm, but it's true. Is this what they call drive and motivation? I'm not sure I like it. Oh cripes. Am I getting addicted to comedy? I'm not sure I like that either. I'm certain it will pass. Perhaps it is something I've eaten. Please do not panic dear reader. See my next entry, when I bring back apathy and depression.

One thousand apologies, much thanks and lots of love to Becki for putting up with me being a bit needy post gig. I think I'm still living with the after shock of the two minute gong on Sunday and need a bit of reassurance that it isn't all that bad.

In other news. I've just had the estate agent round taking new pictures of the flat. He didn't like the old pictures as much as he thought he did. No, it is fine that he waited over three weeks to decide that. Fine!

He talks sooo much. He was telling me about getting in touch with my inner five year old, as according to something he read somewhere, that is the purest most unadulterated form of who you are. I said "That is all very well, but would you mind getting in touch with your inner estate agent and selling my freaking flat please?"

Alas, I didn't really say that. I said "oh yeah, when I was five I liked animals and showing off".

So there might be some truth in it after all.

I can hardly wait to see the new pictures of chez Ogs and hope they attract my perfect buyer. He or she has to be out there somewhere...

OK, even working at home lunchtimes have to end sometimes. Back to the grind for me people...

Oh, straw poll... More pictures in this blog? Views anyone? It is getting very wordy around here. Sorry.

Happy Thursday x


2 comments:

  1. MOAR PICTURES!!!

    And no problem! I loved your set as always and it was great to hear some new stuff plus the old classic.

    Loving that Albanian xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely more photos. Rehearsal? Drive? Motivation? You sound like me, Ogs. I am happy to admit that I am addicted to comedy and the buzz I get from a good performance drives me to work at my material

    Sorry I missed the Albanian - he's one of my favourite bits that you do.

    ReplyDelete