Thursday 23 April 2009

Open mic olympics

I went to a gig called the Open Mic Olympics last night, a night organised by Dale Lately, to try and shake off the wobblies left behind after Leicester and I'm glad I did. You only have to do 3 minutes so I felt like I was gently easing myself back in. I came up with some material about family, which as opposed to the new ad-libby stuff, I did at Party Piece and Pearshaped, I think some of these bits could stick around a while. Thats nice :) I didn't storm the gig, but it went fairly well. With an extra 30 seconds and a stronger end it would have been better still....

I got reprimanded by Norman because I keep changing my set. I'm just in a state of flux at the moment and 7 feels stagnant and he didn't see the twenty odd times, I did stick with the same material... If I don't do things this way, I might not do anything and I'm just trying to keep things ticking over. *gasps*

Norm did really well. He is on some comedy high right now...He reached the final and was in a cheer off for the top spot. The winner, A Greek chick was excellent and it was a fair result. I was well impressed and wanted to poke her eyes out. (Not really.)

After the gig, I went out for a late drinky with Anthony Dewson and David Jam Granny, which is nice. Late drinking. mmmm. I like that I'm continually making and cementing friendships through the comedy. Last night serving to remind me that I'm not ooooonly in it for the stage time and the laughs, but all the fringe benefits of a jolly social life. We went to arty type members bar, The Pheonix. The people in there were all a bit odd and I was really flagging by that stage, so didn't hang around really late before heading off to find a bus home.

When I woke up today, I couldn't remember if this had really happened or was a dream. I got on the bus and flashed my oyster against the reader as I walked off towards the stairs. "OI" yelled the driver - "No credit!" As I fumbled to find two quid in my purse, I dropped a pound and watched in dismay as it rolled towards the door and through a gap between bus door and bus floor and out into the night. I don't remember the next bit:
  • Did I have an extra pound or
  • Did the coin not really roll outside or
  • Did the driver let me off?

Perhaps it was all just a dream and if so, why am I dreaming such boring old sludge. I think something along those lines really did happen. I'm guessing I must have had an extra quid.

Exciting hey??? It quite puzzled me this morning and I was out of Oyster credit and not a pound coin in sight...

Yes, I felt like shite today. Very ropey indeed. Had supervision with My Little Pony. I think he has twigged already that I'm not ever so productive, but I'm prepared to work with him on that point and at least try to change my ways a bit ... to avoid too much aggravation...

Off for a hair of the dog now before heading home to get my stuff together for my adventures in Kiev. Oh yeah, did I mention? I'm flying to the Ukraine tomorrow to mooch about visiting old stuff and looking at dead bodies for two days :)

5 comments:

  1. Never realised that the Ukraine was the Ogden ancestral home. You are truly a woman of many parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree with you on the jolly social life. It's one of the main reasons why I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No no, Norm, you misunderstand, Jo just likes.....looking at dead bodies. No relatives involved....a bit of a necrophile is our Jo :o)

    Glad you're back on the horsey Jo, have much much funness in Kiev!! Mmmmmmm, Garlic....

    ReplyDelete
  4. sprogs is right norm.

    just going to see a new place and some old dead people. not any distant relations or owt. my famberly are all from boring english places...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing wrong with body parts.

    Talking of which, have any of you had a sweepstake in your workplace to pick the town or city where that dismembered guy's hands will turn up?

    I've chosen St Albans.

    Ukraine - we want pictures! Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete