Thursday 2 April 2009

Pearshaped the mini blog.

Yes it was Pearshaped last night. My most ardent followers, B & B have asked how it went.

I was very tired and in a stonkingly grotty mood with very little ooompf whatsoever prior to the gig. I was ooompfless in the extreme. After the shambles that was Monkey Business the week before, I didn't want to do the usual 7 again. My plan B wasn't up to much though. I'd been given the new April issue of our company magazine yesterday and I thought I might just talk about that instead, but couldn't bare to actually read the thing in preparation. Going on stage with no actual gags and not reading the thing you plan to take the piss out of, is not highly recommended in comedy circles. Looks like I may have to stick with the stinky seven. Oh shit - just shoot me now I thinks...

I cheered up a lot when Ray Presto arrived in the pub. Well seeing Ray would be fun, even if I did end up being terrible myself. Then when we went down to the basement where they put on the comedy - I was super brave and asked if I could go in on the first half, thinking lets get this over with and get sh*t faced. 

I was offered 3rd spot - a fine spot. I was pretty pleased with that since I usually take whatever I'm given and often get on so late neither the audience or I have enough energy to care. I don't remember much about the two acts before me. One was a girl. She talked about stoning disabled people. (she wasn't advocating that though.)

So, I went with the magazine idea. Erm yeah. Work magazines hey. They're funny. Aren't they? Anyone? No? Actually it was alright. Good so people said. They might just have been being nice. I don't like to cheese people off who do take the time to think jokes through and write them down or even keep a joke spreadsheet, (believe me I wish I could be arsed with all that,) but just messing about with the magazine was fun. I don't think I was mean about the people there-in, which was pointed out to me as a danger beforehand. It was not the set I've been screwing the arse out of - for the last eight months and I didn't use the word seven once, so all in all - not bad. People laughed and said nice things afterwards - thats what I'm in it for. 

Goddard got up with some of his "material". That old school - look at me I write my jokes approach. Some old nonsense about being a marketing consultant is it? He got up at a point when someone had dropped out and the compere was looking a bit lost having read out their name - and they simply weren't there. PG saw that opportunity like he would spot a lone young lady across a crowded bar and be by her side quicker than rat up a drainpipe. There he was prising the mic out of the unsuspecting compere's little mit. 

No fair enough, he saw the vacant slot, he filled it (ahem) and he was good after a stumbly start. 

Enough about us though. what do we know?

Ray Presto - He the man!!!! I think mostly due to the second row (where we sat), we spread that laughter like wild fire. But we can't take the credit - No because Ray was ace. A legend. He got invited back on at the end he was so good - yeah he got two sets out of it and was like a god.

Another fine night at Pearshaped. Oh there were other comics too and a man with a banjo. It was a tip top feel good evening in a dodgy basement near Goodge Street. You can't argue with that.


2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more. It was a good laugh in a replica World War One trench. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had fun, and tried out a new set! :o)

    I shall come and watch it next time when you've polished it to within an inch of it's life.

    Ray Presto is da bawmb, I've seen him twice, I must join his fan page

    ReplyDelete