Thursday 29 October 2009

Gibbons

I went to a gig in Angel last night at The Compass on Chapel Market. The gig was called The Giggling Gibbon. For the record it was my 56th gig… but hey, who’s counting? Oh yeah, that is right, loads of us are.

I had three supporters with me, my ex boss, his date and Becki Sprog. The room above the pub was empty when Becki and I arrived, but by the time show started it was fairly full up and they seemed like a nice crowd.

Just to take a slight tangent for a moment, I have been reading a fair bit of comedy blog chat, not here, but scattered about the place in pal’s blogs and comment streams. There has been a fair amount said on the subject of finding the right approach to comedy and what drives us to keep going and what we amateur comedians really want to achieve.

I don’t generally contribute to this debate. I’m not big on theorising and maybe I even took the mickey out of Norm when he first coined such phrases as “High Energy Stillness”. I may have raised an eyebrow or two when every other week he seems to have a new system and a new comedy 'this is the one' approach. I joke about it and it isn't my way, but I love Norm for it really.

The thing is - we are all going about this in our own ways and whatever way that may be, we all need to give ourselves a pat on the back for doing something a little out of the ordinary. We are doing something the majority of people swear they never could do. Surely that has to stand for something in its own right. I take my hat off to Norm for being up and scratching his head for new material at 6 am. That is incredible dedication. There is only one 6 o’clock in my day and it is when I’m finishing work and heading to the pub.

Believe it or not, it has not escaped my notice, after 33 years, that I am not the most industrious or focussed of souls. At least I have enough self awareness to admit that. I remember pulling all nighters at Uni, trying to get essays finished fuelled only on ProPlus and lucozade sweets, because I hadn’t fancied doing the work sooner. I am the queen of deadline extensions and procrastination techniques. I like nothing more than a little snooze with the kitties and there is always something better to do than washing up or worse still - straining my brain for funny ideas to actually write down and turn into material.

So, I might not have much to add to a conversation on the best way to build a set or how many new jokes to add in at a time. I might not report every gig I do and go into detail about the bits that worked or not. My current set about my relationships with my brother and the set before that, known as seven things, basically grew out of last minute pre-gig panic and were developed more or less through repeated performance and trial and error. And there we have it: we all have to approach the problem from the angle that works best for us and give each other some credit for having stuck with this messed up old world we call open mic comedy for the last year and a half or so…

Anyway, I’m sure I had a valid point to make, but I’ll get nowhere trying to argue that bimbling along gets you to the same places as hard graft does, so lets leave it with the mutual group hug for hanging on in there, whatever the approach and get back to the gig. …

I had a rubbish day at work yesterday, pretty much everything and everyone was getting on my nerves. Before people go up in arms about the public domain and job security, it was just one of those days. Whatever previous posts have said, I’ve been trying to buckle down a bit over the last week, but I just had a horror of a day yesterday. By the end of it when Becki said that her mate had cancelled their plans for the evening, I snapped at the chance of dragging her along to my gig and I snapped at the chance of us having a few beers and a moan before hand.

This was the time when I probably should have been swatting up on my material and getting my head in a good place to perform, but I wasn’t in the mood for that, so Becki and I supped Guinness and had a bitch and a laugh together before the gig began.

I was the last up of four acts that formed the first half of the show and I enjoyed the first three acts, but have to admit at the back of my mind was – “hmmm, a proper read through would have been really good. Am I going to remember my stuff?” there was a daft quiz with audience participation right before my turn, prolonging my agony and by then I was just sat there thinking ‘oh God, I need to pee and I can’t sneak out now'.

When my name was called and I got to the performance area (no stage as such), I did my usual faffing around – where to put the mic stand, where to leave my pint, taking my time about it and the audience seemed to go along with it and see the funny side. It was a good start and things continued well as the audience came along with me and warmed to me throughout my seven minute spot…

At one point, I did completely forget my next line and had to turn to Becki, who has seen the set countless times for a prompt. Thank God she was there, but even that little kerfuffle seemed to keep the audience laughing and I picked it up and carried on to what felt like a really strong finish. I just love when comedy goes like that and you feel that mutual warmth in the room and everyone has clearly had a smashing time.

I don’t generally big myself up, but last night made me so proud of myself, I feel 'ickle tears well up when I think about it. During the interval, the promoter said he really liked the set and hoped I’d come back soon, another lady tapped me on the shoulder just to tell me how much she enjoyed my stuff and, last, but not least, one woman said to me – “thank you for making a shit week, so much better.” How sweet is that? Little does she know, that she in turn has made my week better too.

So...Have I got a two-year strategy in place as to how I’ll get my strongest possible twenty minute set? No.

Does that make me too lazy to ever make a living from comedy? Maybe.

Do I love the buzz when it goes really well, a room full of people get behind you, laughing in all the right places and some, then strangers feel the need to come and thank you after? Yes I do get a buzz from that and that is one of the best reasons I can think of as to why I do comedy and why I hope I’ll be doing comedy for a while longer yet, even if it does involve a bit of effort every now and again or God forbid I never make a fortune from it...

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you’re talented.

    There’s a paradox here. The show went well and you made some people happy after a hard week. A pub holds maybe one hundred people, an auditorium one thousand, a few hundred thousand listen to the radio, a million may watch the TV.

    If you work at it, could you bring the same pleasure to a million people AND earn a living?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent use of the word paradox Glenn. Well done.

    Perhaps you should come to one of my gigs and see if there is any talent there for yourself... I have five planned in November so far, so just let me know and I'll give you some more information.

    Or perhaps you prefer to remain an anonymous internet presence... on the internet no one knows you are a cat ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Wednesday at the Gibbon and there was definitely a lot of love in the room for you :o)

    You´re doing just great the way you are, you´re not silly and if and when you feel you need or want to up the pace, you will. I know when there´s something you want to set your mind to, you can, it has been evidenced!!

    Love love, thanks for your sympathy texts last night sweetie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nights out aren’t compatible with 60 hours a week of investment banking, most of it abroad, a wife and 2 toddlers! Some blogs, the weather and BBC news is my lot. But post up your show listings for others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my... your poor wife! Not wanting to hang around in dingy comedy clubs is one thing, but no nights out at all? Even the most understanding of domesticated lovelies deserves a special treat every now and again. Surely?

    Why not book a child minder and take her out somewhere nice for a delicious meal, maybe take her to see a show or an exhibition. Or even go out for an early bird supper somewhere child friendly. With the levels of neglect you are implying, it is small wonder you managed to avoid the divorce courts at all.

    I wouldn't pass judgment on your lifestyle, but you have seen fit to pop up from "nowhere" and do the same to mine.

    Just a thought, all the best etc... x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jo, I laugh at myself sometimes for constantly changing my approach to stand-up. And yes, you're right, it will probably take a lot of tweaking before I settle on a system that works for me. Or maybe not. But like you, I do comedy because on a good night, it's an absolute blast. My approach reflects that fact that I am a nerd. I used to be an obsessive computer gamer and used to spend every waking hour devising strategies to beat down other nerds while online gaming. I've realised that this is a fundamental part of my character and will never change. Whether it's doing stand-up, computer gaming, or working at my job, I am an inveterate theoriser.

    But what I love about stand-up is the endless variety. Having spent literally decades computer gaming, I've discovered the pleasure of live performance. In live performance, anything can happen (in the case of one of my performances it usually does...) and I've had more fun in 18 months of stand-up than I did in all the time I spent online gaming. Stand-up is messy and unpredictable - just like real life. I just wished I had discovered it sooner. I've met some fantastic people like you, Pete Goddard, and ... um... Ray Presto and Pete Park-Walker. I've made some good friends and had some fantastic nights. I will never forget Cradley Heath and the night you, me and Pete, stormed the gig. Three Londoners strolling into a strange pub like gunslingers and nailing the gig. Good times.

    Thing is, I want to, if not earn a living from it, then at least to get paid for it. Not because I am desperate for dosh but because in this game, it's a reflection of your ability. And I will keep on theorising until I discover the secret of turning base metal into comedy gold.

    xx

    PS: Glad you had a good time at The Gibbon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steady on. I’m not the only chap who works long hours and can’t do “school nights”. I’d hate to be one of your hecklers!
    Rest assured there are plenty of nights out at the weekends.
    Good luck with your shows.

    ReplyDelete